Since VAT was first introduced into the UK in 1973 as a ‘simple tax’ it has become increasingly complex. In fact, its become so complex that many businesses struggle to cope with it. VAT is the tax that possibly gives businesses more headaches than any other. It affects almost every transaction therefore affecting the day-to-day operations of a business. And now, as the HMRC penalty regime comes into force it can carry increasingly significant risks if you get it wrong.
Export and Import VAT a complicated issue
More than 130 countries have their own VAT regimes. That means that anyone involved in the international supply of goods and services have a lot to deal with. Our international VAT service is here to assist companies involved in cross-border trade or those considering it. Typical international issues can include:
- VAT rating of goods exported outside the EU or to VAT-registered businesses within the EU
- Reclaiming VAT on goods imported from within or outside the EU
- Accounting for VAT under the reverse charge
- Business to non-business supplies of services or goods
- Completing the EC Sales List (ESL) and filing with HM Revenue & Customs
- Claims for recovery of VAT incurred in other EU countries
- VAT issues arising from e-commerce
Our international VAT specialists help advise and work with companies international to ensure their VAT systems operate correctly, compliantly and as efficiently as possible.